I am interested in the work being done by the University of
Connecticut in its Child Development Laboratories because its mission is to
foster child development through play-based experiences, which is the topic of
my Capstone Project. Staff qualifications include a Master's in
Early Childhood Development, and an active presence in the community as a
consultant or presenter on topics of early childhood education and
development. To work in this laboratory,
I would therefore need to gain experience as a community resource presenter or
consultant, which will simply come with time.
In the state of Connecticut, The School for Young Children
at the University of Saint Joseph is known as being one of the oldest
preschools and child development
laboratories in the State. Its
reputation is well-respected for the care and education it provides to
students, and for the professional development opportunities it affords to all
educators in the State. This is why the
school interests me. To work at this
preschool, all of the teachers meet NAEYC criterion. Once I
have a Master’s in ECE, I will meet this criterion and be qualified to work at
this school.
Last, I would like to learn more about the Branford Early
Childhood Collaborative. Its mission is
to ensure that all children in the town of Branford are happy, safe and successful,
and love learning and life! The Collaborative
has earned major state and private fund endowments because of its worthy
work. It partners with state organizations
I admire like the Read to Grow program and the United Way. I want to learn how this organization is so
successful. To work for the
Collaborative, I would be a part of the Advisory Board. The Board spans professions from kindergarten
teachers, preschool directors, board of education members, and university
professors. By working toward my goal of owning and
directing a preschool and by becoming an active community member, I increase my
chances of becoming a member of the Board.
Very exciting topic you chose for your capstone project Allison. Your goal, interests and commitment demonstrate your passion for what you do. You will have a wonderful successful preschool - don't forget the parenting/family education piece! :)
ReplyDeleteCarolina
I agree that the topic that you have chosen is very exciting. I think it would be a wonderful job to get to work in a child development laboratory. Great Choice!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing the missions of these amazing institutes that support Early Childhood Education. These offer amazing job opportunities and oh wouldn't it be wonderful to be on the advisory board of any one of them. The United way does wonderful things for children 0 to 5.Good luck to you I know you can do it.Good lick with your Capstone project , what a great topic!
ReplyDeleteHi Allison,
ReplyDeleteI can tell you have done your research! What great organizations you have listed above. All seem like something I'd be interested in- haha! It's amazing how each state offers different things. I think having a goal of wanting to own and direct a preschool is a great goal!! I have always had the same passion so we share that in common!! :-) Great post!
Allison,
ReplyDeleteThe work of the University of Connecticut Child Development Laboratories seems like a very interesting group. It really took me back to my college days because I went to a school that was a teacher preparatory college at the time. There was school on campus where students worked along side teachers on the cutting edge trends in education. At that time the concept of the open classroom was being developed. Thank you for taking me back in time! I am glad you were able to find that resource to assist you with your Capstone Project.
Creative Curriculum is a research based curriculum whose philosophy is that children learn best through play. The Williamsburg-James City County School Division and our Head Start Program use this curriculum in our classrooms.
Allison,
ReplyDeleteYour research that you did was great! All the organizations that they have listed are making great gains in the early childhood field I never knew about The School for Young Children at the University of Saint Joseph and this is such a neat program. You have great goal and I feel you can accomplish it! Good luck in the rest of your capstone project!
Allison,
ReplyDeleteIt appears with the organizations you have found, you have great sources for your capstone project. Using the information gained from these resources could not only enhance your capstone project, but assist you in your goal of having your own preschool one day. Would you want an in home preschool or a center?
Heidi, my goal is to run a center someday.
ReplyDelete