I had a disagreement with my husband tonight about whether
or not he should go into work tomorrow.
The State of Connecticut is preparing for a blizzard that is to hit
Friday morning and continue into Saturday.
Notifications of school and community event cancellations were issued a
day in advance due to the severity and timing of the storm. My husband said he planned to go into work to
attend two meetings. Incredulously, I
asked if he had heard the weather reports.
He said he did not want to be an alarmist, and would take precautions as
necessary. I became very sarcastic and
said that I was unaware that he was so important that the blizzard weather
advisory did not apply to him. How was
it that he knew more than the weather advisories? When did he go to meteorology school? I continued on like this while my husband sat
quietly during my verbal assault. When I
was done, he simply said, “I had planned on being home before noon.” This made me
feel slightly better, but I wish he had decided to stay home. I could have handled this disagreement much
better. First, nonviolent communication recommends
honest expression of feelings, and not sarcastic expression of our feelings. I should have eliminated the sarcasm from
the disagreement, and instead told him that I was concerned for his safety and
wanted him home safe. If I had done
this, it would have been clear to him that I was worried about him. I would be expressing love rather than
anger. Next, I could have listened
better. I could have asked my husband
probing questions about why he felt his meetings were important to attend, or
why he was not concerned about weather reports.
If I had done this, I would have
learned that he planned on leaving for work in the morning, and also planned on
leaving work early. I did ask him later
how he tried to resolve conflicts at work.
My husband said he tries to keep in mind that he is communicating with a
rational person who is collecting information in a way that makes sense to her,
and so, he tries to “seek to understand, rather than be understood”. This is a very good strategy according to “The
Third Side” website (http://www.thirdside.org/),
our book, and other class resources which encourages us to become
other-oriented in our conflict management.
Placing myself in another’s
shoes, or being empathic, is not usually my primary emotion during conflicts,
but it is a perspective that I recognize is valuable, and is something I want
to work at.
I enjoyed your post Allison - I think your last sentence is a truthful statement - we try to be empathetic but it is not usually a primary emotion. It takes effort and practice to put ourselves in other peoples situations...
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing,
Carolina
Allison,
ReplyDeleteYour post was very personable and current to today's topics on the news. I think when we are trying to reason with someone that we really care about, it is easy to let our emotions take over because we are concerned or worried about their safety. It will take a great deal of effort on all of our parts to practice nonviolent communication on a consistent basis. Reading about it this week made me feel more at peace with myself. I can only imagine how it will make others feel.
Be safe this coming weekend. It looks like you are going to get a large amount of snow!
Andra,
ReplyDeleteNonviolent communication can help reduce the tension in conflict. When other parties see that you are willing to compromise and open to their ideas, they are more likely to resolve the conflict. I also agree with your husband's advice about resolving conflict.
Allison,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post. I definitely agree to communicate effectively honesty is a must. NVC offers many strategies to peacefully and cooperatively resolve communication. Thanks for sharing.
Crystal
I enjoyed reading your post and as we all know nonviolent communication can help reduce or solve tension that can sometimes arise in conflict. NVC offers many strategies to help us resolve some of the conflict situation that we often are faced with. Again, enjoyed your post and wish you the best of luck.
ReplyDelete