Saturday, January 26, 2013

Communication Strategies


My parents are of the opposite political persuasion of me and my husband.  As a result, when we get together with them for family events, I always remind my husband not to bring up the hot political topic of the moment.  This is a learned response to past discussions that have disrupted in yelling and anger.  My husband has tried a new tactic as of late, in the hopes of starting a dialogue on politics. He has taken to listening to the same political talk shows as my parents because he is curious about how the other side thinks, as he puts it.  His natural curiosity is a great way to promote better communication.  By seeking to understand a different perspective by learning its values, he fosters an environment for learning from each other, and being respectful and tolerant of one another.   With this new perspective, he has indeed managed to have a discussion with my parents that did not involve yelling, which is a positive step.

I also communicate differently during social dinners with my husband's colleagues.  Conversation inevitably moves to work-related topics where plenty of jargon is used.  I cannot follow the conversation at times, and so, I disengage.  I avert my eyes downward.  I do not initiate conversation.  I sometimes make excuses to leave the table.  In thinking about ways to become a better communicator in this group, I could actively listen by asking questions when I do not understand something.  I could follow-up a comment by rephrasing it.  Another skill that I should keep in mind is to keep a positive focus and remember that my husband's colleagues are not purposefully choosing topics of conversation to exclude me.  I think I get defensive, which does not help me stay engaged.  My husband would be a good judge to tell me if my use of these new skills was effective or not.  


3 comments:

  1. Allison,

    Thank you for sharing your two stories. Politics and religion are two topics which bring out passion in people. Your husband sounds like a great role model for you.

    I hope that the strategies that you plan on using at your husband's social gatherings will be effective. They sound like they might work. It is difficult sometimes to stay engaged when the conversation seems impertinent to you. Asking questions and reflective listening generally improve listening skills. Good luck with future social endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison,that is good that your husband is respectful to you for respecting your parents. Also that is good that he do not bring up conversation about polite when yall be over there with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison, T
    Those are very good point on how to keep the conversaton going. Conversations should be moving and less argumentive. Those topice like politics and religions are really touchy subjective. Just leave to those things alone.

    ReplyDelete