After my work in this course, one hope I have for my future
work with children and their families is to be able to recognize when I use
microaggressions, to apologize for those instances, and to strive to not let
them happen again. I recognize from the course
work that good intentions are not a shield from damaging words that I may
unintentionally say. Therefore, I can
only hope that my grasp of this issue will help me to be sensitive to the injuries
I cause, and help me to do better.
One goal I would like to set for the early childhood field related
to issues of diversity, social justice, and equity is from a quote I found
inspiring in the Boutte (2008) article. In
quoting Paulo Freire, Boutte (2008) introduced me to the idea that teachers
should aim “to live part of their dreams within their educational space.” In doing so, we could begin to see a future
built on social justice, equity, educational success, and love.
To my classmates, thank you for being a resource to me
during this course. I have learned about
your own goals, fears, and hopes, and see hope for community within our own
diverse views. It is in this very spirit
of unity among differences that our classroom gives me hope that we can build
such classrooms for our young students.
Reference.
Boutte, G. (2008). Beyond the illusion of diversity: How early childhood teachers
can promote social justice. Social Studies, 99(4),
165--173.
Allison,
ReplyDeletethanks for your contribution to my learning in this course. Much sudccess to you