One of my research interests is the development of
curriculum and the art and methods of teachings. Linked to this interest is the role of
technology in the classroom and the home.
I therefore was interested to learn recently about the impact of e-books
on parent-child interactions. Researchers
at the Temple University Infant Laboratory and at The Erickson Institute, an
institution dedicated to educating leaders in child-development, conducted
research that found e-books diminish the bonding experience between parent and
child. The research found that there was
less dialogue about the story’s content with e-books because more dialogue was
spent on parent’s giving instructions on how to use or how not to use the
electronic device. This information is
valuable to me, both as a parent and as a future child educator, because it
directly impacts how I read to children by guiding me on ways to ensure a positive
reading experience.
Reference.
Moretz, P. (2006, November 9). Traditional books provide more positive
parent-child interaction according to temple, erickson researchers. Temple
Times Online Edition. Retrieved on July 14, 2012 at http://www.temple.edu/temple_times/november06/Traditionalbooks.html
What a great topic! Having a granddaughter who, it seems, was born knowing how to operate technology, I will keep this in mind. It would be interesting to see if there is more research to this effect. I am part of a discussion group through Linked In that talks about the effects of technology on children's learning. Most are using ipads with their very young children. I think we have to embrace technology, but also help parents to understand that adult to child interactions are essential.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your post!
Great topic because technology has consumed most of our youth. In schools, children are using more and more technology. There are schools who are depending on Kindles for reading and children are doing classwork and homework on laptops. It is still essential though to hang on the individual interactions between child and adults in their lives. This is a great moment to bond with the child. Every night I read to my boys 8 and 11 years old. This is a joyous moment to them and I.
ReplyDeleteAllison,
ReplyDeleteDo you think that technology is taking over and determining what kind of parenting we give our children? I can easily recognize the children who have the television as babysitters. They cannot sit still on the carpet when I read to them. We have a Smartboard in our center. When it is our day to visit the Smartboard they are excited. I usually let them play games/ which are age appropriate activities the first ten minutes. The last ten minutes we do the Living Book. I usually chose the interactive one because the children can go to the screen and touch the pictures and they will do an action. The children who have the television as babysitters always sit quietly and listen to the story. When it is time to leave they have a hard time transitioning.
Angela,
ReplyDeleteI think technology is a powerful tool. I hope we as parents and teachers learn how to use it effectively.