A quote that I find empowering when thinking of the impact that educators and parents can make in a child's life is made by Jack P. Shonkoff, MD, FAAP as he received the C. Anderson Aldrich Award in 2005:
"The neural circuits that process basic information are wired earlier than those that process more complex information. Higher circuits build on lower circuits, skills beget skills, and the development of higher-level abilities is more difficult if lower-level circuits are not wired properly....Stated simply, it is more efficient, both biologically and economically, to get things right the first time than to try to fix them later."
Reference. Shonkoff, J. P. (2006, November). A promising opportunity for developmental and behavioral pediatrics at the interface of neuroscience, psychology, and social policy: Remarks on receiving the 2005 C. Anderson Aldrich Award. Pediatrics, 118(5). 2187–2191. doi:10.1542/peds.2006–1728. Retrieved May 26, 2010, from http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/118/5/2187
That quote made me laugh! How true! I will think of that while I'm teaching my three year olds to say please, share, take turns and not hit! :) Thank you for all your feedback for me too this class. Good luck with switching careers. I'm sure you'll do great! Maybe I'll see you in the next class.
ReplyDeleteHey that is so true!
ReplyDeleteThank you Allison for your wonderful posts this semester. They are so interesting and I have genuinely enjoyed reading your blogs. Good luck on your educational journey.
What a wonderful quote. I think it was well-said and so relevant to us as early childhood professionals. Thank you so for your interesting posts this semester. I hope we will continue in the same classes throughout the program. Good luck!
ReplyDelete